A Saturday With My Cousin


When I was seven years old, my father asked me: "Do you want to make a new friend?". I gave him a positive answer and so I first met my Cousin Jonas. Even though he was just one year older than me, he had already traveled a lot around our country. At that time, the fact I was a country kid who has never gone to another town made those news blow my mind. I thought he was a kind of Indiana Jones. Perhaps it is because of the amazing adventures he had and the similar pronunciation of their names.

Some weeks after "signing our friendship contract", we decided to make a bike tour in our city. We put some jambos, bananas, and two bottles of water in a bag. Then, we took the bicycle of my father and we finally hit the road. Bridges, streams, woods, wild animals and beautiful old houses enriched our ride. For the first time ever, I had another vision of where I live. How grateful I was... Sometimes we just have to get out of our comfort zone, even for a short period of time, to have a better perspective of our world.

Everything was perfectly fine but we were running out of time. The sun was going down and we should go back home. "I hope mom is not too worried about us" I said. "I bet she is okay. Dude, you told her we would be hanging out all day long, didn't you?". Unfortunately, I could only answer him with a single "nope". The sound of that little and maybe inoffensive word synchronized with the noise that the wheel of the bicycle made when it hit a hole in the road. When we got home, we had to listen to a very long lecture of my mother before getting some bandages.

Well, people say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Is there a kernel of truth in this saying? Yes, there is. However, we had a lot of fun and a great experience. That is what matters!

Stepheson Emmanuel

Comments